The Gender Equality & Mainstreaming Committee, as the name depicts is focused on SDG 5. The topic selected for the committee was:
“Gender Equality in Nigeria: A Panacea to the Achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals”.
This reason for this topic is the glaring fact that before any society can be fully developed, there must be the existence of gender equality. A society cannot be said to be fully developed if there is a discrimination of any gender existing in that society. Simply put, SDG 5 is linked to other SDGs, and they cannot be achieved if gender inequality exists. All these were explained in the Study Guide of the Committee, which the students had access to prior to the conference dates and also during the conference.
During committee sessions, the students got to understand the essence of having a society that is free from gender gaps. It became clear to them that discriminating or looking down on someone because of their gender is a violation of their human rights. The students finally understood that in a country like Nigeria, which is a highly patriarchal, women and girls are discriminated ones.
At the end of the conference, the students came up with workable solutions, which they titled “Equals: For the Equality of both genders”, to eradicate gender inequality and to empower the women and girls.
Some of these solutions are:
- The eradication of gender inequality through good parental care: This is because gender inequality usually starts from the home and this misconception that the boys would always be higher than the girls would be with the children as they grow up, and it would only leave if they get rid of such mentality.- Parents should be taught gender equality during marriage counselling.
– Fliers and handbills on gender equality should be given to parents.
– Social media awareness on gender equality e.g. WhatsApp broadcast messages, YouTube videos explaining gender inequality and the side effects, Instagram posts, Etc.
- The eradication of gender inequality through social media awareness: Most people are not aware of the psychological effects of this discrimination. Most people do not even know that their actions and mentality add to the gender gaps existing in the society.- Social media awareness on gender equality e.g. WhatsApp broadcast messages, YouTube videos explaining gender inequality and the side effects, Instagram posts, Etc.
– Gender equality should be taught fully as a subject in schools.
– Free basic education for both genders • Pushing for an equal pay at work for both genders.
– Enactment of laws that are specially based on the promotion of gender equality.